Thursday, February 26, 2009

Chlorine or Chlorine Bleach?

First things first - I wasn't overly inspired by the TNT meeting last night so now I've decided to do Jack Rabbit training. I really need to make sure that this new work schedule stays in place in order to commit to JR. My plan right now is to try to purchase my own registration to the triathlon on March 3 and take another month to make my absolute final decision. And by then I should know more about work too.

I woke up this morning at 5:30 and stayed in bed for 15 minutes trying to will myself back to sleep but the will to do this triathlon won out. That seems crazy to me ... that I would willingly get out of bed so early, but it's happened several mornings in a row now!

I got to the gym right at 6 (when they opened) and headed for the bike. Today's workout was swim with optional biking, but I know since I'll be biking the longest and I'm a strong swimmer that biking is going to be an important thing to practice. I got to wear my new tri shorts, which made the ride more enjoyable. I used the cardio bike (but the upright one as opposed to the one that is more seated). I rode for 15 minutes and completed 4 miles. I was hoping that the machine would give me my average speed at the end, but it didn't. I definitely tried to keep it above 90 RPM the entire time and was pretty successful at that. I'm sure that someone who understands math could figure it out, but I'm not that person!

After the bike I went and changed for today's swim. I was nervous since the last time I went to the pool it was freezing, but I was only supposed to swim for 10 minutes according to the book and I figured even if it was cold I could tough it out. Luckily the pool was great temperature wise (it was 80 or 82 degrees - without my eye glasses I couldn't read the thermometer exactly) and it felt just fine while swimming. The problem with the pool today was that it smelled exactly like they had dumped Clorox bleach into the pool. Maybe with the economy they have to use that instead of chlorine? I'm sure that I ingested some of the pool water, so I'm now waiting to see if there are any side effects to drinking bleach. I'm pretty sure it's poison so if I die today at least I'll know why. I swam for 20 minutes. I really tried to concentrate on my stroke and breathing on both the left and right sides rather than speed.

And on top of all of this triathlon stuff, I'm hoping to make it to yoga class tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment