Saturday, February 28, 2009

I Signed Up!

I signed up for a triathlon! On June 27 on Staten Island. It's only a sprint triathlon, so it's not too crazy. Based on this book that I'm using I should be fully prepared for this by then. I've realized that now I've got to speed some things up - buying a bicycle is number one on that list. And I've really got to take this training seriously.

With that in mind, I went to the gym with Drew this morning. We got there right at 8 to go swimming. Drew made me promise not to laugh at him in the pool but when he got in and started swimming, I couldn't help myself. I laughed out loud, which he gave me a hard time about. But he's just a sinker. I wish I knew how to fix that. I think it actually gives some tips in my book, so I might have to re-read that part. We swam together for 30 minutes while Drew practiced breathing, kicking and freestyle swimming. Then he got out to head to do his cardio and I stayed in for another half hour to swim on my own. Luckily, the lifeguard was testing the chemicals when I was swimming and they realize that the pH level is really high in the pool. Hopefully they can get that fixed by next week, since I won't have to be back in the pool until then and Laura was planning on swimming with me on Wednesday morning.

After swimming, I was supposed to do a 20 minute run/walk session. I walked for 5 minutes to warm up and then ran a mile. I then slowed down to walk for about 2 minutes and then ran another mile! I'm really proud of myself for running two miles. I know that they weren't quite consecutive, but I can see that it's not far off, so I can definitely start to see that I'm improving already, which is great. This sprint tri is a .25 mile swim, a 15 mile bike and a 3.1 mile run, so I've got to get up to running at least 3 miles. After finishing the second mile, I walked for another 5 minutes. All in all, I think the total distance was somewhere around 2.6 miles. I can't be quite sure of that because I had some user error with the treadmill and they put a stop button on the bar on the side that was a little bit tricky and caused my mileage to be wiped out. I was running at 6.0 speed and 1% incline. On the second mile, I bumped it up to 6.5 for the last 2 minutes. The first mile took me about 10:40 and the second mile was 10:00 exactly.

When I was done, I went to collect Drew from his cardio workout and we did some stretching before heading home.

No comments:

Post a Comment