Thursday, March 12, 2009

I start at the Y and end up at NYSC?

I met Laura this morning at the 'other' 14th Street Y (McBurney) for a swim. First there was a big to-do because although Laura and I both had our passes from the Fitness Book, we didn't have the actual book with us, so we had to fill out guest passes. The pool itself was pretty crowded since there was also a master swim group that was taking over a couple of the lanes. Before we had gotten in, Laura had told me that a good way to keep track of laps was to do the alphabet rather than counting. That turned out to be a really good way to do it (although at the end of my second time through the alphabet I must have skipped a letter). I think we swam for about 35 minutes and I got through the alphabet twice and got to the letter F before something happened in the deep end of the pool and the water turned into ice. Then it seemed like a good time to get out. I think the pool is 25 yards long and I swam 58 lengths of the pool. If my math is correct (which I'm not sure it is) that would mean that I swam .82 miles today. I think that means that the sprint triathlon will be a piece of cake! [As an aside, the woman at the Y said the pool was 75 meters, but there is no possible way that can be correct, so I'm going off the basic 25 yard pool length].

After we got out of the pool, we headed back to the locker room where there were no hair dryers. I'm not really sure how a "state of the art" facility that has a basketball court, swimming pool, and even a swimsuit dryer can get by without having a hair dryer. Even the real 14th Street Y (which isn't close to being state of the art) has hair dryers! At least Laura had the brilliant idea that we could go to the NYSC (which luckily was across the street) and dry our hair. And then it was off to work. I'm thinking of trying to go to yoga tonight, although I have to figure out where and when first!

And, to answer Billy's question ... I'm not hating running as much as I used to. I'm still not sure I'm liking running, but it could possibly maybe happen in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment