Friday, March 20, 2009

Uh Oh

Well, I was a big lazy bum this morning. I slept in instead of getting up to go swimming. Instead, I went to the gym after work with Drew. I decided to do some biking instead of swimming tonight. I have the worst luck for going to the gym while spinning classes are going on (although as a side note, it looks like Friday nights might be a good time to try a class as there were several spots available when I walked by the room). So, I rode the cardio bike instead of the spinning bike. I did the random hill setting on 10. I didn't want to do anything much higher than that because I'm still a little worried about my quad - even though it's feeling fine today I don't want to press my luck too much too soon. I went a total of 15 miles in 41 minutes and was really happy with my total. The workout that I was doing was a 40 minute ride but because I was so close to getting to 15 miles it seemed silly to stop at a random number.

Now, here's where the uh oh comes in ... I talked to the guy from Terrier Triathlon Club today. I pretty much felt like I'm in WAY over my head and he's probably regretting that I signed up for the Club. He said that I should go to the intermediate swim group on Sunday (it's at 4:30, which I find to be a horrible time) and then they'll see if I should be moved around from there. The scariest part was that he said that I should also come to the group run on Tuesday morning at 6. I had a small panic attack after I got off the phone with him. I have no idea if I'm capable of doing the running workout. And I'm nervous about getting to 72nd street in the park by 6 am. And I have no idea what the weather will be like or what I should wear or bring with me. I'm just so new at this and it's making me really nervous. I'm also scared that I will be the slowest one and people will be irritated that I'm going so slowly. Why on earth did I think group workouts would be a good idea? I'm really hoping that on Tuesday at around 8 that I'm feeling much better about all of this.

I have a plan about how to try to test myself a bit before Tuesday ... tomorrow I'm going to go running on the treadmill at a low speed and just see how long I can go. I'm hoping that I'm going to be surprised at how far I'm capable of going, but I'm also really nervous that I'll want to give up after about 15 minutes. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment