Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Importance of Wearing a Wetsuit

On Thursday we went snorkeling out on the reef. It is about a mile out from the shore (we took a boat). The time spent snorkeling was 50 minutes. We saw some really great things: a huge eagle ray, squid, sea turtle, and many colorful schools of fish.

As great as that was, I spent more than half of the time wishing I was wearing my wetsuit. I had goosebumps the entire time we were in the water. I had strongly considered bringing it with me, but my suitcase weighed in at 53 pounds as it was (and yes, I needed all those shoes). I was also reminded how the waves can really push you around (even when wearing flippers). Too bad we can't wear those during the tri.

I know it would have been a great opportunity to test it out, but I'm almost glad I didn't have it, since I now realize how important it is. I'll just have to test it out later on my own. I'm think a day trip to the beach (maybe Coney Island) is in my future. Although since it snowed at home this week, I might have to wait a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment