Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Short Morning Workout

Last night I used one of the coupons from the yoga book and went to Exhale Yoga for a Level I class (teacher Marcy). The class ended up being really small - I think there were 10 of us - so that was really nice. The class wasn't too strenuous, although I did work up a bit of a sweat somewhere during the middle of the class. There was a lot of stretching at the beginning and end of class, which I thought was like heaven. I'm really glad because I've now been to 4 different classes with passes from the book, which means that from now on the classes I go to are all free (since the 4 classes more than equate to the amount that I paid for the book).

This morning I went to the gym with Drew. We got a bit of a late start due to our laziness and my tiredness. I realized that I've planned this week so that I have a morning workout every day and I think next week I'd like to break it up a little bit more. At least give myself one morning to sleep in for that extra hour or two.

Because of our late start, my workout wasn't really all it could have been. However, I'm going to operate on the theory that going and doing something was much better than doing nothing at all. I started with a quick 5 minute treadmill walking warm-up at 4.0 (speed 5% incline/distance 0.32 miles). I discovered yesterday (after trying to run a couple minutes too soon on my way to the group run) that it's going to best for me (and my heel) if I walk for a while before I start running to make sure I'm all warmed up.

Then Drew and I headed upstairs to do some weight lifting. I was doing my normal lifting routine and Drew decided to do it along with me. This was the workout:

Leg Presses: 3 sets of 10 reps each (90 pounds)
Calf Raises: 3 sets of 10 reps each (90 pounds)
Lat Pull Down: 3 sets of 10 reps each (50 pounds)
Seated Row: 3 sets of 10 reps each (50 pounds)
Bench Press: 3 sets of 10 reps each (45 pounds)

[To clarify, Drew did lift a lot more weight than I did].

We finished up with 10 more minutes of cardio. I decided to use the treadmill again. I broke up the 10 minutes into three sections: 3 minutes walking at 4.0 (6% incline), 5 minutes jogging at 6.0 (1% incline), and 2 minutes cool down walking at 4.0 (1% incline). The total distance was 0.83 miles.

I then headed over to the stretching area and did 3 sets of crunches and finished up with a short stretching session.

No comments:

Post a Comment