Sunday, April 5, 2009

Testing the Open Waters

This morning I really wanted to test out my swimming abilities in open
water. I felt more than a little silly putting a cap and goggles on,
but it seemed like the best way.

I have to figure out how big the swimming area is at our hotel, but I
swam there and back. I swam the first leg in 5 minutes and the way
back in 4. The funny thing about that is that I actually felt stronger
swimming the first part.

I found out that when I swim and breathe on the left side (the 2nd
length), I tend to also veer left. I'm guessing it will be a bit
easier to swim in a straight line during the tri since there will be
lots of other people there.

The waves today are definitely something new to contend with. I wonder
how today will compare with the actual tri. The worst part of the
ocean is the salt. The entire time - since the first stroke I took -
all I could think of was how thirsty I was.

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous that you're getting a chance to do some open water practice on vacation! I'm considering taking my (new!) wetsuit down to the lake this weekend to try it out, but the water's probably ridiculously cold. If you can find something to practice "sighting" with this week, it will be a great opportunity for you to practice swimming in a straight line regardless of which side you're breathing on. I've never seen it, but I've heard horror stories of the entire field veering off course in races because everyone was following the leader. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete