Sunday, May 10, 2009

Can I Have A Ride?

The original plan for this morning was to get up early and go for a bike ride with Drew. Of course, since we stayed out late and got up a bit late, that plan was scrapped. I went with him to get a breakfast smoothie from Jamba Juice and then walked him to work.

I came home and proceeded to procrastinate for as long as possible. I swapped the winter clothes for summer clothes in my closet. I took a nap. I read my book. I made a snack. I finished the book I was reading. At that point, I realized that I just needed to suck it up and go on out for a bike ride.

Right when I was turning the corner from my street onto the Avenue that heads to the park, a guy on the street yelled out, "Hey good lookin' - can I have a ride?" I would just like to state for the record that while I might wear tighter clothes on my bike, I don't think anything about wearing a bike helmet makes me "good lookin.'" I had told myself that by waiting, I had probably done a good thing because the park wouldn't be as crowded. Although that was true, it also gave the people who were still out and about more room to be bad bike riders/runners/roller bladers, etc.

Because of my procrastination, I didn't have a whole lot of time for a long ride. I ended up just going around the loop once (6.07 miles in 24:24 / 14.93 MPH average). The wind was pretty strong today, so I'm glad I got a chance to test out what that is like. There were a couple of times where I knew I was pedaling pretty hard, but I really didn't feel like I was moving because of the wind. I know it's not the best effort that I could have put in today, but I also know that even when I'm not feeling it, it's really important to just go out and do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment