Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Let's Go Really Fast!

After work tonight I was able to talk Drew into going for a bike ride with me. It was really nice to go together and there were a couple of times where he said, "Let's go really fast now!" and the extra push was extremely helpful. I'm hoping that if I can at least get used to riding faster on the flats, that will push my average up even if I'm still plodding along at the same speed on the hills.

These are my times:

Getting to the park: 1.61 miles in 10:19 (9.36 MPH average)
First loop: 6.16 miles in 25:25 (14.54 MPH average)
Second loop (only 3/4 of the way around): 5.15 miles in 21:46 (14.2 MPH average)
Getting home from the park: 0.82 miles in 7:34 (6.5 MPH average)

Total distance: 13.74 miles. Clearly, I still need to work on my speed!

I will say that I think I'm more ready than I was even at this time last week to go get shoes and pedals. Today while I was pedaling, my toes seemed to be losing blood flow, which I'm thinking related mostly to how tight the clips were over my shoes. Turns out that it's not so easy to pedal with numb toes. Also, my right elbow is still bothering me. Drew said he actually noticed some of the same thing and wondered if maybe we're locking our elbows while riding and putting too much stress on them. I'm going to try to get to the bottom of this as it's really not that pleasant.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun ride! You will love your shoes once you get them and get used to them. I find myself leaning on the handlebars a little too much sometimes. I think proper form says you should support yourself with your core, rather than on your arms. I'm trying to work on it, but I really have to think about it to not start leaning.

    ReplyDelete