Monday, May 18, 2009

Maybe It's The Weather?

Yesterday I missed the Terrier group swim workout. I'd like to blame it on the mayor and the reduced service in mass transit, or perhaps the AIDS walk that was blocking Central Park, but really, I have no one to blame but myself. I left Drew's apartment a bit too late and as a result got home too late to make it to the swim. I decided just to trade days off and make Sunday my off day.

My usual pilates was canceled this morning since Nicole wasn't going to be there. When I woke up this morning, I really wasn't in the mood to go to work, so I called in sick. I have to say that since February I've not been overly happy at work. I've been hoping that this triathlon training would help me get out of my rut, but some days it just isn't enough. I decided that today would be more of a mental health day. I think that's okay every once in a while. I also think that the fact that it's 55 in the middle of May isn't helping matters any. When will it ever be summer?

I spent the morning watching some documentaries and spent the early afternoon napping. I think it was quite a wonderful day off. I then decided that I needed to get myself up off the couch and head to the gym. I decided that I would up the running to a mile today. I have some aspirations that I could go to the group Terrier run tomorrow morning and just do the drills and then run home, but I'm not 100% sure on that, although I think in theory it's a good idea.

I got to the gym and did a 5 minute walk warm-up (0.32 miles) and then started on the run. I started running at 7.0, but after 0.6 miles, I slowed down to 6.5. I finished the mile in 9 minutes, which I was pretty happy with. I kept walking at 4.2 at increased inclines (4%, 8%, 12%) for the remaining time. I decided that I get pretty bored on the treadmill, so I only did 2.0 miles in 25 minutes total.

I will say that once again, after exercising, I do feel much better in general. The hard part for me is still getting to the gym, but I'm doing my very best. Plus, the sprint tri is on June 27th, so I really had better get myself ready for that! Otherwise I'll probably be really quite sad if I don't finish.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for mental health days! I completely agree with you that they are necessary once in awhile.

    Nice run! I'm impressed with your pace since you haven't been running much lately. I'm really struggling with getting faster at running.

    ReplyDelete