Friday, June 12, 2009

Just Enough Reason To Get Up

This morning I woke up to more rain in the city. I really think it will never stop, even though the weather forecast claims that it will be nice tomorrow. I'm not going to hold my breath, although I am really hoping that they've got it right this time!

My gym is currently having a "bring a friend for free on Friday" promotion, so I had talked to Laura about whether or not she'd like to avoid the rain and come join me at the gym this morning. She wasn't sure since she had some work she thought she would be up late doing so I told her that if I hadn't heard from her by 8 AM, I'd assume that she wasn't coming. I had really only planned to go ride the bike for 30 minutes this morning, just to get in a quick workout so I could have my evening free.

When my alarm went off at 7, I looked outside and realized that the last thing that I wanted to do was get up and go to the gym. I also figured that if Laura really was going to come and meet me that I would have heard by then. I tried to convince myself that it would be okay to take a rest day. However, I felt obligated to actually go to the gym just in case she did show up and wanted to get in a workout. And, really, it was just enough motivation to get me out of bed, so by not coming, she still did me a favor.

So, I got changed, walked to the gym in the rain, plopped myself down on the cardio bike and realized that I really only had 20 minutes to do anything before I would have to get up and walk back home in the rain. That 20 minutes hardly seemed worth the effort in my tired mind. Anyhow, I decided to try to simulate the "flat as a pancake" aspect of the Staten Island triathlon and so I just set the bike on level 5 and went about the biking. I'll be honest, my heart just wasn't in it this morning. I only rode for 17:30 and went a measly 4 miles (13.7 MPH pace). I got off, did a couple of stretches, and went home to shower and face the work day.

I have a mixed reaction to my workout this morning. Part of me thinks that there wasn't much point and the other part of me thinks that every little bit helps. I think that rain or shine tomorrow I'm going to have to get out there and do my brick, which will hopefully be a better workout than today!

1 comment:

  1. I've had the same dilemma. I usually end up deciding the workout is worthwhile even if it's very short and low intensity, if only for my mental health rather than improving my physical health. I find that not doing anything when I planned a workout nearly always makes me feel crappy and disappointed in myself. Doing something physical usually keeps those thoughts at bay.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete