Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Where Oh Where Has My Flexibility Gone?

Last night I had a dream about over-sleeping on Saturday and missing the triathlon. In the dream, it was Drew's fault because it was raining and he didn't want to have to stand out in the rain all morning, so he didn't wake me up. He promised me (in real life) that we wouldn't over-sleep, so I think we'll be all set for the race.

Today I had been hoping to go workout with either Laura or Drew, but work kept both of them from being able to do anything this morning. When I woke up this morning, I realized that was probably for the best because I was quite sore from yesterday's Terrier run. At first I couldn't figure out why my rear-end would be sore from running, since that has never happened before. And then I remembered the lunges. And the back-lunges. And the squats. I think all three of those things did me in. I decided that I would take the day off and let my normally unused muscles rest a little bit.

I found a restorative yoga class to go to tonight. I thought that it might be helpful to just do some restful stretching. The class I went to was actually called Yin + Restorative. Apparently the Yin part is for sore joints and the Restorative is for sore muscles. I definitely had the latter. I went to the Exhale yoga studio and had the same teacher, Marcy, that I had the last time I went for a regular class. I was thinking that teaching restorative yoga must be the most boring thing in the world. There are several people all lying around almost falling asleep and you just have to sit there for 3 minutes while they hold each pose.

All the poses that we did that involved anything to do with your hamstrings were practically impossible for me. There was one where we were sitting up with our legs spread apart. We then were supposed to fold over onto a bolster and rest in that position. I could barely lean forward my hamstrings were so tight and had to prop my bolster up with blocks in order to be comfortable. Forget about folding all the way over! The girl in front of me in class was ridiculously flexible. I was quite jealous. I think tonight was a good reminder that I really should try to stretch even more than I normally do and to try to get more yoga in as 'forced stretching'.

No comments:

Post a Comment