Thursday, July 16, 2009

I Think I'm Growing Leg Muscles

The thing about sleeping in (like yesterday morning) is that your body gets tricked into thinking that it can stay up later at night. I tried to get to bed at a decent time last night, but I still think it was after 11:30 by the time I fell asleep. Of course, waking up this morning at 4:55 wasn't any picnic. But, I got up, ate my Clif bar and headed out for the Terrier brick.

When we got there, Robert explained the workout. The run portion would be the last part of the NYC triathlon route so that those people who were doing the race would know the route and be familiar with it. The bike was from the 72nd Street transverse to the 102nd Street transverse. We were supposed to bike all out from transverse to transverse and then recover across them. The workout was supposed to be about 90 minutes in total and however many runs and bikes you could fit into that amount of time was where you would end up.

We all did the run portion as a group first so that we would know the route to take. Robert said that it was about a half mile, but since it took me about 8 minutes to do the first loop, I knew that his math had to be a little bit off. Turns out each loop was 0.85 miles. By the time we got done with that first running loop, I was already pooped and ready to go home. My legs were tired, I was tired, but I knew I just had to get on my bike and do the best I could.

These are my stats for the day:

Park riding: 8.18 miles in 33:55 minutes (14.47 MPH average)
Bike to park and home: 3.50 miles in 24:00 minutes (8.75 MPH average)
Total biking: 11.68 miles in 57:55 minutes

One running loop was 0.85 miles. Did two loops total (1.70 miles) in 15:28 (9:05 pace)

My legs were not very happy about that second biking loop, but I knew I had to suck it up and keep going. I like to think that when they get so tired like that it's because they're working really hard to grow bigger muscles and even though they're tired now it'll be better in the long run (no pun intended).

No comments:

Post a Comment