Saturday, July 4, 2009

I'm Going 5 Miles An Hour And I'm Wearing A Helmet

This morning, we all got up and headed over to the gun range for some shooting. Drew needed to practice for his big trip to Africa at the end of the month. We shot handguns and rifles. The biggest rifle I shot was a .308, which definitely had some kick! It was a fun way to spend the morning.

We got back to Drew's parents' house and I changed into my running gear. Drew had caught a bit of a cold, so he couldn't run with me. So, we did something really silly instead. Drew rode along beside me on his mom's scooter. I'm pretty sure he felt ridiculous riding around going 5 or 6 mile per hour and wearing a helmet.

The run was basically a big rectangle. The original run that Drew had mapped out was 4.5 miles, but I only ended up running 4.0 miles. I ran that distance in 43 minutes (10:43 pace). The last road on the rectangle was a more major road (instead of the more country roads we had been on earlier). Drew said he wouldn't be able to go so slowly on that road, so he drove off toward home. About 3 minutes later, I heard a very familiar sound and Drew was there behind me. He had done a circle as a surprise. I was really glad I was still running and wasn't cheating and walking.

I've been getting a lot of headaches while running in the heat recently. Today was no exception. I'm hoping I can get to the bottom of this because I think I'd be able to keep going (although at my slow pace) if my head wasn't pounding.

1 comment:

  1. Amy,

    How's your hydration? Headache can be an early warning sign of dehydration, especially in the heat. Also, look into your potassium intake. A potassium shortage can cause headaches, and it's one of the electrolytes you can lose when you're sweating in the heat. Take some gatorade or nuun or something similar, even on your short runs. Good luck, and keep moving!
    Zach

    ReplyDelete