Saturday, August 15, 2009

Some Serious Snoozin'

I flew to Michigan last night and surprisingly, my flight was on time (early, in fact) and I even had my bag by the time the plane was actually supposed to land. I got to my mom's house and we talked for a bit and I had a snack and I didn't get to bed until around 12:15, which is quite late for me these days.

I set my alarm for 6:45 this morning, which actually is later than I normally get up to workout, but when the alarm went off, I realized that this was my first day of vacation and shouldn't I get to sleep in? So, that's what I did! I slept until about 10:30, so I got a full ten hours of sleep. I'm not really sure the last time that happened. I knew I might regret not getting up and running early, but I was also quite happy with the extra sleep.

I headed off to lunch with a friend and then ran a couple of errands. Then I came back to my mom's house and mapped out some running options, just so that I would have a rough idea of how far different points were from her house. It is really hot here today and I knew that running at 5:00 wasn't the ideal time, but I didn't really have a lot of other options other than skipping it all together, which I didn't even consider as an option.

So, I headed out on my run. Although it was really hot, I had chosen a route that was mostly in the shade on a nice wooded road. Or, at least, that's how the first half of it was. The second half was all out in the baking sun. It was not even close to being fun. It was hideous. All I could think about was wanting to have a drink of water. And the worst part was that the last mile of the run included a huge hill that I had to run up. Why on earth didn't I think this through before I went out running and do the run in reverse?

I think the only thing that kept me sane on this run was the fact that I had taken my iPod and I sang along to the songs. It's funny running in Michigan because you just pass a lot of cars (or a lot of cars pass you, depending on how you look at it). Even though the scenery itself might be nicer than New York, there definitely isn't as much to watch or look at as there is when I run at home. It definitely wasn't boring today because it was a different route, I just happened to notice that I only saw 3 bikers and no other runners. Quite a difference.

Here are today's stats:
4.3 miles in 44:05 (10:15 pace)
Calories: 604
Max HR: 187
Average HR: 178

Although the pacing was a lot slower than I was on Thursday, I think I'm okay with that. I had to stop at some stop lights (one of which was over a minute long) and that's factored into the time, since I only thought about stopping it after I had been waiting forever and by that point it seemed silly to stop the watch. I'm thinking that my runs on vacation (we leave tomorrow to head to the cottage) will have no stop lights, so hopefully I'll get some better (and earlier) runs in then!

2 comments:

  1. Have a great trip! I can't believe you slept till 10:30...I "slept-in" till 8:30 this morning and I thought that was late!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For dry mouth while running (especially outside) try having gum in your mouth. I can't run without it.

    ReplyDelete